Berry season is in full swing here in LA and I’ve been a little overzealous with the berry purchases recently. If you’re of the same mindset, these Blackberry Muffins are going to be your new fav treat!
Cooking and baking with my daughter is a true highlight these days. She’s all about adding ingredients to a bowl and stirring for approx 3 seconds before she’s off doing the next task. While she might not be the most DILIGENT sous chef yet, one thing is certain…. her eyes light up every time she tries something new. These blackberry muffins were no exception.
Any type of quick bread is excellent for toddlers (or adults for that matter) as it truly doesn’t take much time to prep. Muffins bake in 20 mins or less so it’s an easy and fun activity for you and your kids.
Let’s talk substitutions quickly for Muffins:
- Fruit – you’ll see I used halved blackberries below, but you could easily use strawberries, blueberries or cherries if you prefer. Apples and pears are also great during non-berry season. Just be sure to cut anything into a semi-reasonable size before adding into the batter.
- Oils – any neutral oil would work in these. And you could use a non-neutral oil like coconut oil if you want these to have a bit of a coconut flavor. Delicious both ways.
- Milk – any type of milk works for this. Cows milk, oat milk, almond milk, buttermilk, you name it. Feel free to use whatever your family keeps on hand.
- Sweetener – my daughter is over 1 years old, so I use honey in this recipe. IF you are making this for children under 1, opt for agave as it’s not recommended to serve honey to anyone under 1.
For more info on my thoughts of feeding your baby/toddler, check this post!
These Blackberry Muffins are perfect for anyone ages 1+, they’re healthy, quick to prepare and easy to store in the freezer for when you need a quick snack!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (cows milk, oat milk, almond milk, hemp milk etc)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (coconut oil works also)
- 1/2 cup honey or agave (only use honey if you’re making these for humans above 1 year old)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups blackberries halved (you’re more than welcome to sub any other fruit – just cut into similar size)
Preheat the oven to 375° F.
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, oil, honey, vanilla, and lemon zest. Slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet until incorporated (try not to over mix the batter).
Add the berries to the batter and slowly combine.
Line or grease muffin tins and fill each tin 2/3 of the way with batter.
Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick tester comes out clean.